Thursday, October 28, 2010

"school"

For those of you who didn't already know, I got a part time job @ Starbucks. I've been working the opening shift so that we can avoid putting Hailey in daycare. That isn't always the case though and we've had to find some flexible childcare for her. We have been trying out "The Nest", a drop off play & learning center just a few blocks from my work. We call it "school". Joe has dropped her off both times we've taken her and I can tell it's been hard for him to leave her. Both days she cried, but was easily & quickly distracted by the staff. Today she asked Joe if he would stay and play with her and the choo-choo train... he had to tell her he was leaving and that I'd be back to pick her up. I asked them how she did after Joe left and they said she was fine once she got to working on crafts. When I walked in to get her today she was so excited to see me she could hardly contain herself. After yelling my name with joy, she started crying. Not the kind of cry because she didn't want to leave, but almost like "Mom, why did you leave me... I thought I'd never see you again". It's only going to get easier, for all of us, I know. But for now, it's pretty heartbreaking having to leave her in the care of someone (other than family & friends) even if it is only a couple of hrs a day. At the same time we are excited for her and know it's great for her socially not to mention good training for preschool. But other than the first minute of being there she seems to really like it. We ask her questions and she tries telling us what she did there. The first time she wouldn't use the bathroom for them (for 2 hrs)...so that night I told her that it's OK to go potty for the lady...that she is nice and will wipe her bum for her. She just looked at me and said "OK", and we left it at that. Today on the ride home she proudly said "I went potty Mommy, the lady said yes" (implying that she asked to go and they let her). Too cute!

3 comments:

MamaSophia said...

Ahhh! Good job mama (and joe)! Hailey is such a big girl, she will have a blast and like you said it will get easier. How fun for her! And, um Starbucks?! Yum! How do you conatin yourself from drinking coffee all day and eating goodies!!

Brenda said...

Kayla goes to preschool twice a week and would act like that when we picked her up for the first few weeks. It was sad, but like you said the teacher says she had a great day. Now she looks forward to it SO much and it makes Jonny and me so happy knowing that she loves it. Hang in there.

The Hunter Family said...

Oh man, I remember those days! You just have to keep reminding yourself that it's good for them. Love the art!